Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Black Hawk Down
Have you ever seen the movie Black Hawk Down? Well after spending my first 24 hours in Cape Verde, I have come to the realization that this is just like that place(mogadishu). Last night I changed rooms. I was sharing a room with our mate Terry. Terry also ran the boat this fall, and brought it down to Mexico with me. Last night I slept in the tackle room. The tackle room has no light, no blankets. The blanket thing is not that big of a deal since there is no AC here. The only time I have been hot though is at night. The day's are surprisingly cool. Last nigh while in bed I was woken up around midnight. I thought we were going to die. It sounded like bombs and gunshots. I had no idea what was going on. I came to the realization that it was fire works, who knew they would be shooting them from so close. The island was celebrating it's 130th year. Anyway, we fished on our normal boat today the Amelia. Our captain is another Kiwi, Marty. Today was a slow Cape Verde day. This morning Fin caught one on a circle hook pitch bait. I grabbed the leader and had a 300lber putting on quite a show. It was fun, unfortunately it was our last bite of the day. They do some wierd things here. When we leave the marina we put the riggers down get to trolling speed and stay at trolling speed until we hit the dock. We fish as far away as the fishing center to the sea bouy but it takes us over an hour to get to where we are fishing. Oh well, it is what it is. I wouldn't ever come here other than to fish. It's a bit of a dump. It doesn't feel very safe. The food is bad. I think I will be able to fit into my shorts from 3 years ago after this trip is over. More tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment