Monday, January 19, 2009

Fly Fishing
















Well I posted something last night but I guess I forgot to save my blog. That sucks. Today started out beautiful. We just have one guy fishing with us. He loves to fly fish, and holds the atlantic record with 10 Sails on fly in a day. It was a little intimidating at first but you get over it. We ran way up north to find the right conditions and boy am I glad we did. When arrived to find the birds. What happens is the sailfish ball the bait up and chase it and pick them off one by one until they are all gone. They usually chase them to the surface so that they can not go anywhere. Then the frigate birds pick them off also. So a lot of times we go in search of birds. We found the fish and attempted several throws with the fly. We ended up breaking 2 fish off, and pulled the hooks on 3 more. It was fun to watch but sucked just sitting watching knowing that if we had some bait back there we could mess them up. We did the fly thing for half the day, then went to the troll. When we went to the troll we instantly had bites and I ended up catching several myself. We ended up catching 15 in a few hours, and it really should have been more. As the day went on the conditions deteriorated and we found ourselves in come rough stuff. We got in in the dark. Cleaned the boat rigged baits ate dinner and here I am. I have the fly fish guy for 3 more days. Hopefully tomorrow we will get a little luckier. One cool thing I saw the other day, migrating flamingos flying over the open ocean. Weird to see pink flying through the sky.

1 comment: